Podcast episode 2: Local wellbeing business marketing and mindset w/ Ciara MullinsApr 22, 2021
The second episode of the Make Your Difference podcast is here with Ciara Mullins! Welcome to this first episode of the Make Your Difference podcast! In this series, I am interviewing founders and leaders of different sized wellness and education businesses and specialist marketers who support them to help them make their difference.
Ciara Mullins has just celebrated the 10th anniversary of her local business, CuraCare, where she employs a team of people to help the wellbeing of older people who want to remain in their own home. In the podcast, she shares her experience of business including marketing and mindset as well as thoughts about her own wellbeing.
Listen to the episode:
Ciara set up CuraCare with her husband 10 years ago. Together they partner to run their team of carers, meaning that she has a long-term experience of managing a remote workforce, unlike many who have had a steep learning curve since lockdown in early 2020.
How her organisation helps:
They provide contact and support - crucial for the wellbeing of older people - during lockdown and beyond they are providing peace of mind for family members, knowing that their loved ones are cared for.
Ciara's tips on mindset for overcoming challenges:
- Collectively discuss, assess and evaluate any challenges
- Take challenges in steps
- Have a "can-do" attitude and stay positive
Ciara's tips on running a remote wellness team:
As Ciara has run a remote team for years, she has lots of ideas here:
- Ensure you have good communication
- Make sure you make it clear that you empathise with your team
- Prepare your team including providing good training - both initially and ongoing
- Keep communication channels open
- Check in regularly to make sure people are OK - as well as more formal meetings - and consider the channel that they prefer to be communicated by and tailor the amount of contact that is right for the individual
- Have processes for escalating issues quickly
- Provide extra support if needed, such as third party bodies that people can talk to.
Ciara's positive business habits:
Having run her wellness business for 10 years, here are some of the business habits that have helped her along the way:
- Be self-aware - know which bits you are not as good at yourself and where you need support
- Build up a team of the right people to support you
- Have a clear strategy in place
- Keep a positive attitude.
Ciara's marketing tips:
Ciara is marketing a local business - both to get new clients and also to attract the right carers to support them. Here are some elements she recommends:
- Use referrals from clients and their families
- Ask for reviews
- Use referrals from partners - such as other professionals - as people trust people
- Make sure to use customer feedback
- Have a strong web presence that reflects what you do
- Use video to engage
- Use digital channels
- For local businesses, local events, sponsorship, offline marketing such as magazines.
When running a business, it can be exhausting as well as exciting and challenging. But make sure to stick with it, as it's definitely worth it!
The Make Your Difference podcast is hosted by Vicky Mason. To find out more about her marketing work with organisations:
Don't miss a beat!
If you like what you're reading, sign up to get more marketing ideas and motivation delivered to your inbox.