Podcast episode 4: Writing a book to support your business w/ Karen WilliamsMay 20, 2021
Welcome to this fourth episode of the Make Your Difference podcast! In this series, I am interviewing founders and leaders of different sized wellness businesses and specialist marketers who support them to help them make their difference.
As a book mentor, who helps people write books to support their business, Karen Williams has a lot to share with us. I spoke to her on the 10th anniversary of the launch of her very first book - quite a milestone for her. Since then, she's written several other books, done a TEDx talk and grown her own business. With her background in coaching, she also knows plenty about mindset.
Karen Williams is a book mentor (you can find her at Librotas.com, and on LinkedIn). So what exactly is a book mentor? you might ask. A book mentor is someone who helps people to write a book to support their business. She's written several books herself, which you can find on Amazon. She has also done a TEDx talk on the topic of one of her books, called: The Mouse That Roars. This covers the topic of her overcoming her shyness to moving to live courageously.
Karen's thoughts on writing a book from the episode:
As this is her favourite topic, Karen has a lot to share about writing a book. Here are just some of the highlights:
- People get a lot of personal benefits from writing a book - including confidence, courage and self-belief.
- From a business point of view, writing a book helps you gain clarity on your message (something echoed by Steve Chamberlain in his experiences in the last podcast.)
- Other perhaps more expected benefits include raising your credibility and authority. However, make sure you shine the spotlight on yourself and have mastered what you're teaching for this to shine through.
- Make sure you're writing something interesting for others to hear.
- Write consistently - find out when you write best and stick with it.
- Planning is key: You can use her Business Book Planner to get started. This is a tool that asks you the questions that you need to answer to get started with your book.
Karen's mindset tips:
Here are some of Karen's thoughts on mindset:
- Believe in yourself.
- Remember that you go through different stages.
- Do the planning, so you have everything out of your head.
- Focus on your own wellbeing - take time to get outside.
- Remember to take breaks and take time off.
- Flexibility is key.
Karen has run her business for many years now. Writing a book has made a big difference to her but she also shares other tips including:
- Make sure you show up consistently - remember to market yourself consistently
- Show up in a way that works for you and your clients
- When it comes to marketing, do three things and do them well (which is advice she was given herself)
- Don't spread yourself too thin
- Don't get distracted by the latest shiny object
- Remember to multi-purpose your content (e.g. from blog to email etc)
- Remember to outsource.
Reflections about her TEDx talk:
Having been shy as a child and having moved beyond that myself, I'm very impressed by Karen doing a TEDx talk. Here are a couple of her thoughts about this:
- Doing a TEDx pushes you outside your comfort zone
- Like writing a book, a TEDx talk helps you to refine your story
If you're interested, you can listen to her TEDx talk: The Mouse That Roars.
Karen tells us "If you want to write a book, just do it! Don't doubt yourself or let any worries hold you back." She also reiterates the importance of having a really good plan and making sure people want to hear what you're writing about, so you can validate it as you write you're book.
Are you ready to write yours?
The Make Your Difference podcast is hosted by Vicky Mason. To find out more about her marketing work with organisations:
Don't miss a beat!
If you like what you're reading, sign up to get more marketing ideas and motivation delivered to your inbox.