Podcast episode 8: Websites! With Rich StevensJul 15, 2021
Welcome to this eighth episode of the Make Your Difference podcast! In this series, I am interviewing founders and leaders of different sized wellness and education businesses as well as specialist marketers who support them to help them make their difference.
Rich Stevens runs a web design business called Anorak Cat. Since almost all organisations need a website, there's plenty to learn from today's episode. Working with organisations to help them find the right partner to create their website is also one of my favourite projects, so I enjoyed speaking with Rich about it.
The founder of web design agency Anorak Cat, Rich set up his agency 5 years' ago (and I have to apologise, I didn't ask him why his agency was named that!). With a great eye for design and a passion for customer service, Rich's focus is on supporting businesses with their Wordpress sites.
Find out more about his work at https://www.anorakcat.co.uk/
Why having a professional website matters
Rich gave us a few reasons why he thinks a professional site is important:
- People form opinions in split seconds
- They are working out whether they like and trust you from your website
- Your website is a chance to communicate with them without any other "noise" - such as you might find on social media and elsewhere
- It can make a difference as to whether people decide they want to work with you
- People often look on Google for a solution to their problems.
Where people sometimes go wrong with their website
Here are some ways Rich noted that people can often go wrong with their site:
- The website doesn't look professional
- It takes a long time to load
- It's difficult to navigate
- The message on their website isn't clear or the content is poorly written
- The logo doesn't look professional
- People talk about themselves rather than what their potential audience wants to hear.
What to have in place when creating a website:
Rich mentioned a number of key elements, with being clear on what you want people to do as a result of visiting your site being the most important. Other elements to have in place include:
- strategy - including clear goals for your website
- content - photography and copy
Options for building a website
- Create it yourself on a DIY platform like Wix or Squarespace or Shopify for Ecommerce
- If you want support with building your site, trust reviews and referrals and find someone you can trust.
Some pointers are:
- Keep the content short and simple
- Plan everything
- Remember to focus on people's problems which you solve.
When redesigning a website:
- Understand what isn't working on your current website
- Use analytics and speak to your target audience
- Check out competitor websites and challenge yourself to be better
- Remember that ongoing maintenance is important.
Marketing tips & business habits:
- He suggests that you don't talk about your own story but rather talk about how you can help people.
- Make the next steps really clear - as people get confused if they have too much choice.
- Work with partners.
- Remember you don't need to be on every social media platform out there
- Get things down and capture everything, so you don't need to worry about it.
Keep things simple. Don't try to do everything. Start with the minimum and add more in later.
How can you keep things simple?
Episode 9, coming soon!
The Make Your Difference podcast is hosted by Vicky Mason. To find out more about her marketing work with organisations:
Don't miss a beat!
If you like what you're reading, sign up to get more marketing ideas and motivation delivered to your inbox.